Monday, September 5, 2011

I Can Bless



Morning breaks with record breaking heat. The unending drought is causing 100 year old oaks to die too soon. Leaves turning colors then falling from the dead trees still standing. Drought infects the heart as well, unending worry can become the master if allowed. To shift from the stronghold of worry, I focus on my blessings. From self-focus to God-focus, I ask Him to let me be a blessing to someone today. But who? The day ahead is filled with the mundane and necessary; cleaning, laundry, in-house business. I walk my golden retriever, feeling like I'm not making a difference. My thoughts shift to my son and daughter who are on the threshold of adulthood spreading their independent wings. More of them, less of me. Putting away folded clothes, I pass by the printer, a small stack of paper lying on top. I turn it over to find my son's project he had been working on for weeks. I wait for the call. The phone rings and a whisper of a voice that is not allowed to have his phone on in school speaks. In a desperate plea he asks the question, "Mom, please will you do this for me?". Without hesitation I give thanks for being at home, being there for my young man who is spreading his wings but still needs this Momma Bird.
The gratitude that pours out of my life can never measure the grace that flows into it.
I am blessed and I can bless.


“Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself in which to set her young, near your altar, O Lord of hosts, my king and my God.” Psalm 84:3

No comments:

Post a Comment