Sunday, September 11, 2011

Faces of Gratitude

"I slept and dreamt life was joy,
I awoke and saw life was service
I acted and behold service was joy"
                     Rabindranath Tagore

I drive away from the Red Cross shelter I call church-home. Leaving after a couple of hours washing dirty towels, wiping the wet from iced down water bottles, giving some directions and others just a smile. A little boy looks up at me with eyes red, wet from tears and I wonder if he was part of the family who saw their house burning to the ground on the news.
A sea of faces of gratitude for shelter, food, kind words. It causes me to recount the many faces in Tuxtla-Gutierrez Chiapas where I shared God's love on a medical/dental mission trip. 



After cleaning teeth that had never been cleaned before, (some not even having toothbrushes), they would put their hands on my shoulders, with mouths still bloody and in pain, and kiss my cheek. Gratitude to me, my gratitude to God -- always pointing to the One all gratefulness should be directed to.
His Grace, the most undeserved transaction we will ever receive. The natural response to Grace should be gratitude.


The faces of gratitude.



Coming home from the shelter, I walk through the back door and look around at the food still on the counter from making lunches earlier in the morning. The kitchen sink full of breakfast dishes.



I give thanks with a sigh, another opportunity to serve God with hands and heart.

And be grateful.

Never be lazy in your work, but serve the Lord enthusiastically. Romans 12:11

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that God used you to be a blessing to those in need, needing a beautiful smile and a caring heart. You amaze me! You always look for God's blessings, even in your kitchen sink. You are a blessing to me too!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete