Saturday, March 24, 2012

Discovering Simple Joy: Concering Our Stuff

A Continuation of How we react to the Life Around Us.


Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 
Matthew 6:19




As I get older, I don't long for "stuff" like I used to. It can be suffocating as you can see to the extreme in reality shows on hoarders. When I'm considering buying something, I can sometimes visualize it sitting in my next garage sale in three years because it will be considered junk. Or I may look at it and think "it's just one more thing I have to dust."
In reducing the stuff in my life, my ultimate goal is to reflect the image of Christ. In the pursuit to possess more, it can actually block my view of Christ and dull my witness.


Simple joy #3 - Letting go of the desire for more things. They're really just dust collectors anyway.
Simple joy #4 - Look around your home for things that you don't need or want anymore and give them away. Find joy in thinking of the person who finds your junk in a resale shop and considers it a treasure. Remember that singing fish plaque you once thought was hilarious and now it's just annoying? Pitch it!








You have shown me the way of life, and you will give me wonderful joy in your presence. Acts 2:28


No comments:

Post a Comment