Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Art of Relaxation




Relaxation. I’m desperately honing my skills at it as I lie here on the beach. Closing my eyes, I listen to the sound of seagulls squawking as they walk up and down the beach in hopes of finding someone’s leftovers. The ocean is magnificent, churning and foaming, roaring continually with all its might. The wind hitting my face, I can smell and taste the saltiness of the ocean.
It’s unfortunate that I can’t stay in this tranquility for long before endless mind chatter invades my peace.
“Be still and know that I am God” comes to mind. I take a deep breath in and release it slowly, trying to focus on the beauty of God’s creation, his majesty and sovereignty over the ocean. A healthy looking young woman walks by and suddenly I am thinking I should exercise more.
A state of wanting and wandering instead of being.
I look over at my husband in hopes that he would inspire me to relax.
He’s checking his e-mail.
[heavy sigh]
I’m going to put this pen down now and enjoy this perfect moment.....even if it kills me.

You rule the
oceans.You subdue their storm-tossed waves. Psalm 89:9

1 comment:

  1. I hope you can relax and rest in God's peace on your vacation. Enjoy your family, enjoy the beauty of our Creator and while you are at it-get up, grab your hubby's hand and go for a walk and get that exercise!
    Love you,
    Nat

    ReplyDelete