Monday, July 12, 2010

Legacy

Rummaging through a box of old books and family Bibles, I found my grandparents sign-in book for their wedding. It was 1925. I noticed my grandmother's parents didn’t sign the book- were they there? Did they approve of the marriage? I wondered if she wore a simple gown. How did they meet? I then found  this picture of my great-grandmother holding my dad as a baby. At the bottom of the box was a smaller white box, which transported me thirty-six years later. Scribbled on top was my grandfather's name and the year he died. I opened it to find all the cards sent to the family upon his death. In the span of five minutes, I traveled about eighty-five years back in time, wondering about lives of people I never met. How their finding each other brought births that brought more relationships together.
What looks like chance encounters to us are all part of God’s amazing design. Our family relationships are like threads woven in the fabric of a blanket, each connecting to the other to create a pattern. That pattern is our legacy. I thank God for the pattern of my “family blanket”. The love and reverence for our Father that has been past down from one generation to another.
It’s never too late to make your family blanket pattern beautiful. Start instilling a legacy of His love today that will last past your lifetime.
You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body
      and knit me together in my mother’s womb. Psalm 139:13




No comments:

Post a Comment